Archaeological town Vinča Belgrade, Serbia
Less than 15 km east of the center of Belgrade, on the right bank of the Danube, is an archeological site Belo Brdo in Vinča, where one of the largest prehistoric settlements in Europe was discovered. Professor M. M. Vasić, the first professional archaeologist in Serbia, began excavations in 1908 which, with interruptions, lasted until 1934. Research was restored in 1978 by testing findings from the Bronze Age and Middle Ages, while the focus shifts back to the Neolithic layers in 1982.
The first settlement in Vinča was founded in the Middle Neolithic period, while in the Early Neolithic it reached its peak. Cultural layers, 8 m thick, still rising above the Danube, have provided a wealth of archaeological finds (remains of houses, pottery, anthropomorphic and zoomorphic figurines, stone tools and weapons).This is why Vinča is the eponymous site of the Early Neolithic culture in the Balkan-Carpathian region. traces of later prehistoric and historic periods are noticed above them, as well as the remains of the big Slavic necropolis from the period between the 8th to the 17th century.
The archaeological site Vinča has been a part of the Belgrade City Museum since 1978. The exhibition at the site, guided by a curator, illustrates the eight millennium long existence of Vinča.
The Vinča culture was pretty advanced for it’s time, even had an alphabet of their own, which is considered one of the oldest in the world. Recent discoveries showed that their main settlement was composed of well aligned houses forming streets between them.
Most figurines and artifacts from Vinča are displayed across museums and galleries in Belgrade, as part of permanent or temporary exhibitions.